Chicago Workforce Initiative Liaison
Fermilab is America's premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
The Fermilab Workforce Development and Resources Section (WDRS) provides vital services to laboratory employees and users in support of the strategic business plan of Fermilab. Our Diversity and Inclusion office evaluates the diversity and inclusion efforts in our workplace and maintains working relationships between the laboratory and national communities.
A Chicago Workforce Initiative Liaison is being sought to join the WDRS team and will report to the Talent Acquisition and Diversity & Inclusion manager. The selected candidate will be responsible for increasing Fermilab's presence and impact in advancing STEM workforce and pipeline opportunities for Chicago constituents. The selected candidate will establish, develop, and manage relationships with business, civic, philanthropic and academic communities to promote Fermilab's importance as an accessible local asset, resource and partner. The selected candidate will serve as a strategic diversity partner and thought leader for workforce initiatives including talent pipeline programs at the post-baccalaureate, undergraduate and high school levels.
- Lead efforts to strengthen and develop sustainable partnerships between Fermilab and state-wide business communities, civic and philanthropic organizations, community institutions, and universities, community colleges and trade schools.
- Build strong networks by working on a variety of committees/teams and with a diverse array of colleagues and partners in industry, education and other sectors.
- Manage a communications/outreach strategy to ensure Fermilab is a "must consider employer and resource for business professionals, donors, and civic partners.
- Maintain existing employer relationships and create new partnerships with organizations throughout Illinois.
- Develop and advance inventive and robust pathways and pipelines for career access and success for persons traditionally underrepresented in STEM.
- Lead efforts to develop, coordinate, and implement collaborative Illinois-based academic, business and community special projects and sponsorships for lab workforce and internship efforts.
- Reimagine methods to spread awareness of Fermilab's mission and resources.
- Write grant proposals, funding concept papers, white papers, accomplishments reports, status reports, etc. to support workforce pipeline projects and initiatives.
- Liaise with the University of Chicago Career Advancement Office to engage and track student placement metrics for Metcalf, Provost, Odyssey, and Innovation Internship Programs.
- Contribute to the success of the Talent Acquisition, Diversity & Inclusion department initiatives and programs including Graduate Fellowships in Stem and Engineering (GEM), Summer Internships in Science and Technology (SIST) and Co-Op.
- Develop and maintain internal and external website communication and branding for Talent Acquisition and Diversity & Inclusion.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Abide by and responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Public or Non-Profit Administration, Social Justice, or Human Resources, or other applicable discipline
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience with and ability to develop strong relationships with a wide variety of constituents, including business, philanthropic, cultural, social, and community service organizations, and academic institutions
- Demonstrated knowledge of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) philosophies, approaches, best practices, and trends/guidelines in student support programs/initiatives
- Exceptional interpersonal, written/verbal communication, organizational, follow-up, consultative and presentation skills
- Demonstrated experience with the utilization of technology for the collection of data and data analytics to make recommendations on how to move the needle
- Demonstrated ability to use internet-based recruiting programs and willingness to learn new technologies
- High level of professionalism when interacting with internal and external constituents and demonstrated ability in maintaining collaborative relationships with a diverse range of customers
- Communicate effectively and with influence.
- Must possess exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively on a team as well as independently.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America's particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.