Director of Compliance
Director of Compliance
Job ID: 2019-1710
Type: Regular Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
The Director of Compliance has principal responsibility for overseeing the regulatory, employment and corporate compliance programs of Revantage and its affiliated companies, which span the breadth of commercial real estate asset classes across the United States and globally. Being an astute and business oriented professional is a key component of the position. This position is based out of Revantage's headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Partner with the Company's Chief Legal Officer and the Associate General Counsel on the oversight of the legal and regulatory compliance program for Revantage and the portfolio companies that Revantage supports.
- Proactively identify regulatory trends and changes potentially impacting our asset classes and business, and offer recommendations to address.
- Respond to existing and emerging regulatory compliance requirements across the platform, including in the areas of data privacy (including CCPA and GDPR), rent control, evictions, climate and energy use/efficiency, and other regulations affecting real estate.
- Coordinate with Blackstone Real Estate's internal government affairs team regarding their legislative reporting, and assess impact of legislative matters to our platform.
- Develop the annual compliance work plan that reflects the company's unique characteristics.
- Periodically revise the compliance plan in light of changes and recommend improvements to compliance program and procedures.
- Provide guidance, advice, and/or training and educational programs, to improve stakeholder understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and present clear and concise compliance reports to company leadership.
- Identify problem areas and suggest procedures to better coordinate activity and streamline processes.
- Develop and communicate the objectives of the Compliance Program and report accomplishments on an ongoing basis.
- Track and monitor the implementation status of regulatory changes to ensure they are fully implemented and incorporated into policies and procedures within regulatory required time frames.
- Read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and governmental regulations as necessary.
- Stay abreast of changes in federal, state, and local laws affecting company's business and employees.
- Continually update policy and procedure manuals, including the Company's Employee Handbook, Policy Guidebook and Compliance Manual.
- Assist the Accounting Department in coordinating internal compliance review and monitoring activities.
- Maintain a log of communications received relevant to compliance.
- Interview internal and external stakeholders periodically.
- Assist with regulatory examinations, including requesting and preparing materials.
- Provide ongoing support to the legal and risk departments on ad-hoc special projects, risk assessments, compliance reviews, and other tasks.
- Assist with development of annual employee training programs.
SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The position requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and at least 8 years of relevant experience in corporate compliance. A Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and admission to the bar of Illinois is preferred but not required. Substantial experience in one or more of the following asset classes is strongly preferred: hotels, office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family complexes, industrial, and senior living facilities.
Should be able to work as part of a team and also independently. Must have strong communication, organization and problem-solving skills. Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer . We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our employment decisions are based on individual qualifications, job requirements and business needs without regard to race, color, marital status, familial status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, disability, citizenship status, national origin, pregnancy, veteran status and or any other legally protected characteristics. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please email email@example.com.